Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The race for fourth spot.

As is stands there are a number of teams fighting for the fourth spot in the premier league, more importantly fighting for the final Champions League qualifying spot. Liverpool, Man City, Spurs & Villa are all within touching distance of that fourth spot and the plethora of money that come with getting into the Champions League.

As I Liverpool fan I must admit it is adding a bit more excitement to the season this year, although I preferred the excitement of last season when we were chasing first place but ended up finishing second. Is this race for fourth place a result of vast improvements in the ability and performances of the chasing teams? I think not. In my opinion this scramble for fourth is down to the fact that Liverpool have been playing well below their best this season, and have failed to put the final qualifying spot in the bag.

The chasing pack have been playing well this season, Man City started off the season with all guns blazing and were leading the league at some points, but then fell out of form. Similar things can be said about Spurs, they have played some great football this season but as of late they seem to be struggling to put a consistent run of form together. Villa I think are the most improved team, I like their manager, and he is a no nonsense man who knows his stuff and loves the game but I can’t see them getting that fourth place.

I honestly think that Liverpool will finish the season in fourth, if they can get their top players like Gerrard, Torres and Johnson back to match fitness and on the pitch at the same time then it should be Liverpool’s to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment